Friday, June 04, 2004

Holleywood Halloween

Seems that this summer I may have to give a seminar re: teaching "festivals" in class. Each time I do one of these I find that I am unable to answer the multitude of questions. A few years ago, I ended up learning lots about Celt history in relation to Halloween. But the questions I received were not about history. People asked things like, "What kind of costumes are popular? Do they all have to be scary?" I wanted to be prepared this time, so I did a little research and it seems the inspiration mostly comes from Holleywood. I mean this is so obvious, but I never noticed before as my friends would dress up as wierd and wacky random things fashioned from whatever materials were at hand. (Plus I have been overseas for 11 years now).

Internet sources say that adults are as much into costumes as kids these days... and that people spend an average of US $55.00 per costume. Costume sites say that the trend this year will be less gory and more sexy (sexy-classy, stylish). I wonder if 2004 Holleywood costumes below have anything to do with it.



I searched for costumes priced in the $40-$60 dollar range and It would appear they don't even come close to thier Holleywood counterparts. I am thinking that if I am lucky enough to get home for October, I will make my own costume. Maybe I can steal a character from a local producer's film (although NOT from Ang Lee's Hulk!)







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home