Monday, May 31, 2004

Where's the Beef?

Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of joining some other expats at Saint's and Sinners Pub for the going away party for one of our acquaintances. Saints and Sinner's is your typical American pub... so generic, it could be picked up and dropped into just about any airport in the world and it wouldn't be misplaced! You know the type - with those old-fashioned American ads that someone obviously produces just for pubs like this one!
Anyway, we all ordered. I must say that I must have been in Asia for too long, because I no longer notice if there is mayonnaise and asparagus on my pizza or hello kitty fishcakes floating in my soup. Peanut butter on a ham and egg sandwich? No problem!
This was not the case for some of the others. 3 people ordered cheeseburgers. Two of them ate half before decided the rest wasn't worthy of consumption. The third cheeseburger diner; however, decided this was NOT ACCEPTABLE. Being quite fluent in Chinese, she called over the waiter and ranted at him for about 15 minutes re: the poor quality of the stuff stuck between the two fluffy halves of the bun: What kind of filler was used? What kind of humiliation was inflicted on that ground beef? At first, I watched/listened in morbid fascination! Then a Wendy's commercial from the '80s came to mind and I had to laugh! "Where's the beef?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home