Thursday, May 20, 2004

Keeping Updated

Computer troubles! I had to to visit the mac shop last night. Please don't ask me why I use a mac... I KNOW they are more expensive (but the industrial design is so... appealing) and I also know that there is less software, less hardware, less everything designed for this kind of machine... I also know that I don't fit the mac user profile... (someone who spends long hours getting to know their machine intimately, who cares enough to completely personalize their machine and who can speak several kinds of computer languages... ).
    Forget the computer languages... for me, I am too  busy trying to learn other languages... namely enough Chinese to get me to my favorite mac shop (on Jin Hua road between Jinshan and ShingSheng); the one where the customers take in food and sit around at the counters chatting, using the wireless internet and getting the staff to teach them a variety of useful things. When I burned a hole in my motherboard, the staff here managed to scrape the burned bits off and soder on new ones!
    Anyway, this time my problem is that Dreamweaver (what a great name!), Fireworks and well, all of the Macromedia package just WON'T install! Last night, we managed to update my system, update and get Photoshop working again... and consume several green tea cream puffs and some passion fruit ice cream... but we DIDN'T get the Macromedia package to install.
    Appears I may have to go back again tonight and leave the laptop there (after creating more space by burning and deleting all of my photos/music. So annoying... The guy there kept complaining about how SLOW my machine is... It is only about 3 years old, but of course all the lastest software is made for all the latest hardware... and hence that means... It will soon be time to update! This is the worst part of living in Asia - you pretty much HAVE to keep updated or you are not compatible! However, this only applied to techno-toys... In terms of educational philosophies (among other philosophies), it seems many feel it is much better to stick to the old ways!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home