Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Coffee with Candy

Yesterday after getting back from a business trip to I-lan, I received a call from Candy...
"So, when are we meeting ?"
Oops! I completely forgot. Candy moved back to Taiwan from Thailand over 4 months ago and we still haven't met up. "Just give me an hour, " I told her. " We can meet in one of those little coffee shops in my neighborhood facing the Youth Park."
Turns out another woman, a friend of Candy's who I met when my brother was visiting, lives only about a 5-minute walk from my apartment! So near, but I wouldn't have known since I have spent the last year in hibernation.

Anyway, it was really great to see them again... especially since both of them have been inspirational to me. I wrote about Candy (with her permission) and her life in Thailand for the first unit of the grade 9 textbook. She laughed because one of her teacher friends saw it and thought the story resemblance to Candy was too coincidental to not be the same Candy! Of course it was Candy... and as for Liting, she is one of the characters in the novel I will someday write (fictional name is Lan Cho)... Click on the her name to read about her on the Barbados blog (but don't be too critical, it is just a place for stream of consciousness ideas).

I guess I will make an oath here and now to try and get out more for the last few months of my time here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home