Friday, September 24, 2004

On My Way to Work - Morning Reflections


Photo copyright S.Yoshino

On my way to work this morning I was thinking:

  1. Will 67 seconds be enough to cross this little street? (There is no such thing as pedestrian right-of-way... the little green walking man knows nothing).
  2. Should I stop for a Shao Bing Jia Dan (an egg beaten with MSG and green onions, fried and sandwiched in a folded pastry thing coated with sesame seeds)... or should I forfeit $100NT + for a double latte at Starbucks?
  3. Why is it I am so deathly afraid of cockroaches (even dead ones on the sidewalk) when I have no qualms about munching huge deep-fried crickets with my beer or candied grasshoppers with my udon noodles?
  4. If I finish all my work in the morning, dare I tell the front desk clerk that I have my period and take the afternoon off to sleep? (I still can't believe that women in Asia can do this. It is a priviledge I - although female- have never exercized.)

2 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Zanmei said...

Dear Amy,

The latte is unreasonable seeing as you can get coffee AND breakfast somewhere else for only NT$50.00! Think about some of my coworkers making $27,000 a month.... 1 starbucks every weekday morning: 20 x 110 (It's actually 110). That's almost a tenth of their salary on Starbucks! YOu'd have ot make less than $US 700 per month for it to be comparable, right? I'm lousy at math.

Anyway, don't worry about the crickets and grasshoppers... you really HAVE been to Asia. They I actually find the snakes blood stuff more disgusting and harder to swallow (thank goodness it was the blood and not the venom or semen... both of which are also consumed)! The crickets (if you closed your eyes). were just like any other salty, crunchy snack.

The most challenging food has actually been deep-fried baby birds (heads still attached) in Thailand! How about you?

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Zanmei said...

Hi Amy... thanks for doing the math. I was just too lazy. I usually use this currency converter: http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic
Do you think yours is better? Oanda puts the US dollar's value a little lower... or maybe it has dropped since you wrote.

Anyway, I have done the double espresso thing too... but the problem is that once you add the milk, it is COLD... I should really start to make my own at home, don't you think? I have a pound of Lavazza in my freezer.

As for the white slimy stuff in Japan... could it have been "yama imo" (mountain potato)? I can't say I am really fond of that stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home